Looking for Alaska - John Green
I failed to understand this book. May be it was not my cup of tea!?! or may be my interest is deteriorating in YAs these days, not sure!

Coming to this book there are various reason for which I didn’t enjoy reading this.
To start with I didn’t find any character likable.
Especially Alaska! She was conjured as a very complicated character. She was too intelligent, too impulsive, too loveable and too stupid.. all at the same time… well duh really?!?

But why was she the way she was. I couldn’t get it.

Pudge/Miles, who came to live in a hostel to escape his high school mates and to find a ‘great perhaps’ in his life found Alaska instead! In fact he thought she was his ‘great perhaps’? How? Well I didn’t get this as well.

On the whole I didn’t get this book. I didn’t understand why Alaska had to die to have that effect on her friends. Wasn’t her living enough? Also all those pranks, boozing, smoking, getting laid was a bit overdone according to me, I don’t think it was necessary to that extent.

Well only thing which hit me and made me give this book 2 stars was some of John Green’s wordings which made me think for example –

What is an "instant" death anyway? How long is an instant? Is it one second? Ten? The pain of those seconds must have been awful as her heart burst and her lungs collapsed and there was no air and no blood to her brain and only raw panic. What the hell is instant? Nothing is instant. Instant rice takes five minutes, instant pudding an hour. I doubt that an instant of blinding pain feels particularly instantaneous. ”