— feeling silent
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

The interesting part of this book is that even though it’s written in 1985 almost 32 years back still it holds good even to this day. It’s scary but yes there are chances that this might happen one day, this world can turn in to one such hell! I know it’s a dystopian novel but a different kind that, which can turn into reality. The narration was a bit dry but, of course we can’t expect a flowery narration of the environment and situation which Offred was a part of.  At first it’s tough to get into the book but once you are in there it’s very hard to get out. Forget men, this is a world where one woman doesn’t respect or cares for the other, where even though a woman is going through hell the other just sits there and watches it rather than doing something about it, sounds so similar to this world which we are living in, right? That’s why it’s scary. It’s actually disturbing as hell.

“But who can remember pain, once it’s over? All that remains of it is a shadow, not in the mind even, in the flesh. Pain marks you, but too deep to see. Out of sight, out of mind.” (p.135)

Just like the above mentioned quote it’s in our nature to overlook things once it over we people tend to forget everything once the commotion is over, once headlines turn to a sideline. Everything will just be shadow for us. That’s why this novel so scary. I know i’ve been repeating the word ‘scary’ but IT IS!